Saturday, November 13, 2010

Robin Miriam Carlsson

Sweden. So many many good things come from Sweden. Abba, BWO, Jan-Erik Saarinen, Kosta Boda, Ikea, and Robyn.

I am posting about her today because she's performing here in Chicago in a few hours less than a mile from my home. Unfortunately, I won't be seeing the show, but I sure won't miss the next one!

Her track with Röyksopp "The Girl and the Robot" is somewhat of an obsession for me. When the track came out I played it endlessly for weeks. I still have it on heavy rotation. It's just such a perfect blend of really interesting melodies that I've never heard before, really emotive lyrics and a kickass beat that I just love.





There's something about the synthetic backing vox pads that gets me. Such an intense, driving bassline; it's almost insistent. It demands that you pay attention to what she's saying. She's a woman who misses her lover and she's really expressing her pain. No one's singing songs for her, though.

Finalizing the perfection of the song is the orchestral ending. It's as if you're watching a gripping opera in the theater and have just finished the heart wrenching scene that makes you cry for the lovelorn heroine.

No comments:

Post a Comment