Thursday, November 18, 2010

Strange haircuts, cardboard guitars, and computer samples

I think I'll always love Information Society. I have this unbreakable bond with InSoc and Erasure. Vincent Alvarado was a classmate of mine in 8th grade and he made a mixtape for me with InSoc and Erasure on it. He knew exactly what I needed, and it (cheese alert!) changed my life.



This song is right on so many levels. Can we talk Spock!? Just the fact that Information Society samples Mr. Spock is badass. One of the short tracks on their 1990 album is called "Charlie X." It was probably 18 years after the album came out that I learned that "Charlie X" is the name of a Star Trek character that utters a line that is spoken in this track.

What's crazy about this video is that it seems so very 80s even though it was released in the 90s. Yazoo's "Goodbye Seventies" is about leaving a decade and its style behind, but this video certainly doesn't seem to do that. It just reminds me that just because the decade changes, style doesn't change overnight.

I'm particularly fond of the InSoc self titled album, Hack and Peace and Love Inc. I used to doodle the IS logo on my notebooks in high school and practice the Me Company Erasure logo. Hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment